Tomato and Cheese Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (4.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 box (9 oz.) Wheat Thin Crackers
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tomatoes, heirloom or large, approximately 3 #
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 10 ounces of shredded Teleggio or Fontina cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 shallot finely sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sliced chives
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Prepare the crust: Heat oven to 400 ℉
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan on medium heat. Then add garlic and sauté until garlic is fragrant, about three minutes.
- Place Wheat Thins in a food processor and pulse until mostly fine. Add garlic butter, egg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Pulse until well combined. Press mixture into 9-inch foil wrapped springform pan or cast iron skillet. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Then remove to cool.
- For the tomatoes: Increase oven temperature to 450 ℉.
- Slice tomatoes into ¼ inch sections. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over the slices and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in 450 degree oven and roast for 25- 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Prepare the pie: Reduce heat to 375
- Combine in a medium bowl shredded Teleggio, Parmesan, mayonnaise, ¾ teaspoon salt and thyme.
- Spoon gently a quarter amount of cheese mixture on the crust and then place a layer of roasted tomatoes. Repeat layering. Finish with even layer of sliced shallots.
- Place in oven and bake for 60-70 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives and optional lemon zest. Slice and enjoy.