I’ve made hot cocoa for many years. It’s always really good, but, I wanted really GREAT. I think I found the secret…Two extra ingredients that surprise the palette, and they are espresso and cayenne.
These are not new to foodies, but I’ve not seen them before for hot chocolate (I’m sure the secret is out there somewhere).
Anyway, this Hot chocolate/cocoa is very requested by my loves. I serve it up with a sweet confection…cannoli, chocolate croissant, plain croissant with butter and jam, shortbread cookies, and the list goes on! When the high temperature reading is 9℉ like is here today in Columbus, Ohio, a little something decadent goes a long way!
Best Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 3 Cups
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 3 cups of Whole Milk (I use 2% successfully)
- 3 Tbs cocoa
- 3 Tbs sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbs strong-brewed espresso
- 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- ¼ Tsp vanilla extact
- ½ Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat milk and whisk in cocoa and sugar until incorporated.
- Add salt, espresso, cayenne pepper, vanilla and chocolate chips. Whisk mixture until chocolate chips are melted and hot chocolate is steaming hot, but not boiling.
- Serve in mug and top with whip cream, then dust with cocoa powder.