Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- For the blueberry compote:
- 1 quart blueberries divided: 3 cups for compote, 1 cup for batter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half lemon
- For the Batter, Dry Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the Batter, Wet Ingredients:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1⅓ cups ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Lemon zested whipped cream and maple syrup
- Place two cups of fresh blueberries into a medium sauce pan, and add sugar and salt. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until most of the blueberries pop. Take pan off the heat source and immediately add lemon zest, lemon juice and 1 cup of fresh blueberries.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: All-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Whip 4 egg whites until stiff peaks. This can take a few minutes, so be patient!
- Blend, egg yolks, ricotta cheese, buttermilk and vanilla
- Add wet ingredients into dry and blend together. Fold in egg whites. No mixing here, only folding until well combined. Fold in the remaining blueberries.
- Place 1/4 cup batter onto a 325 degree griddle that has been lightly oiled. Flip cakes over when they are bubbly around the perimeter, somewhat in the middle and they are golden on the bottom.
- Serve with blueberry compote; and if calories are not to be discussed, add a drizzle of maple syrup and dollop of whipped cream.